Friday 4 March 2011

My First Video!

A friend of mine works for Durham University and asked me to make a video about looking after your Mental Wealth. I've been on quite a few filming shoots before and worked as a production assistant but this is the first time I was in charge of a project from start to finish. Having told my friend that I've never really done this before he said not to worry- just be creative! I had pretty much a free rein, although the video had to show that mental welfare is something we all need to be aware of.

The quality is very reduced here- I wouldn't recommend enlarging it! But a higher quality version should be on Durham University's welfare website shortly...


If I was being fussy, there are loads of things I'd want to adjust- not least the sound quality of some of the vox-pops! Unfortunately we didn't have a directional microphone when we were filming so we picked up a lot of background noise and the very cheap software I was editing with wasn't advanced enough to do much about this. I could also go on editing, adjusting little details that annoy me, but I have already made the 'absolutely final version' about ten times already and had to call it a day at some point.

However, as a learning experience it has been fantastic and I'm quite proud of the finished product. I like the flickering shadows and the home-made feel and I've always wanted to use Scrabble letters for a creative project. I've also learnt lots about filming and editing and although there are many things that I'll do differently next time, this hasn't put me off making videos and I would definitely try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment